The colonial General Assembly in 1747 designated this area an ecclesiastical society and named it Marlborough. In 1803 the Connecticut General Assembly incorporated Marlborough as a “distinct town” deriving its lands from Colchester, Hebron and Glastonbury. Sadler’s Ordinary, believed to have been built about 1653 near Lake Terramuggus, entertained travelers on the Path to Monhege between the Thames and Connecticut Rivers. The first schoolhouse here was built in 1760, a time when farms and sawmills flourished. Marlborough Tavern, still serving the public, opened its doors late in the colonial period.
Local industry, chiefly textiles, was spurred by the New London Turnpike during the nineteenth century, but vanished with the burning of the last mill in 1907. Therefore Marlborough is mainly a residential community. Mary Hall, of this town, an educator, became in 1882, the first woman lawyer to be admitted to practice at the bar of Connecticut.
The Marlborough Historical Society and
The Connecticut Historical Commission